Saturday, January 28, 2012

Change is good?

The company I work for (http://www.active.com/) has seen some fast growth the last year through acquisitions and popularity. With that growth has come the need to standardize the QA Automation, under a new manager.

At ActiveNet I'm a minority in the language I code in and the tools I use. I code in C# using the .NET Framework, whereas the application side of development uses Java. Second, I use Visual Studio to develop and run Load Tests. Other QA automation teams use Selenium. As part of the standardization of course comes the selection of tools to use. The obvious choice, if I was a manager, is to use Selenium since that's what most other teams use. Additionally, Visual Studio costs money, whereas Selenuim is free. I know it's the nature of the beast and staying dynamic means survival in the dev world but it's gonna tough to be the newb again. I'm used to being able to draw from my experience and knowledge to whip up solutions on the fly.

In the upcoming days I'll post notes outlining the transition from VS based testing to Selenium and any parallels

No comments:

Post a Comment